Wednesday, October 29, 2008

REVIEW: Mom Says I Can


This is a review of a children's book and features my daughter's review as well. It was interesting how, having never read a book review, she wrote, "I would recommend this book to your family."

REVIEW: Mom Says I Can
Published: Thursday, May. 22, 2008

A child's imagination can take him many places. He can be a pirate or a cowboy. He can be a superhero or king of the jungle. Judy Cooley, in her new children's picture book, "Mom Says I Can," takes us along on the creative play of a little boy named Max.

Cooley's watercolors evoke the soft dream-like qualities of imagination -- where reality and fantasy blend. She captures well the glow of a sunset on the horizon and the speed of swinging apes. The child's exuberance pierces each page. You can almost hear him whoop and shout.

The story, however, seems more like a collection of greeting cards than a progressing plot -- but that is not necessarily so bad. Behind each adventure is the voice of a loving mother, supporting the child as he explores his world. This is not a mom who worries about her living room being messed up with boxes, stuffed bears or jump ropes.

Read the full story at MormonTimes.com

Also, part of my daughter's review:

Kid's review of 'Mom Says I Can'
By Kate De Groote (age 6)

I liked this book. It was very good. It reminded me of my mother. I like the pictures in it too.

I really like when it says, "I'm the King of the Jungle." That page says, "I'm the King of the Jungle. Look at me swing -- I'm not afraid of anything! Just like the real king of the jungle."

And everytime, at the end of the pages, except for the last couple pages, it says, "The World's Greatest Treasure." I like that.

Read the full story at MormonTimes.com

No comments: